5 tips for a successful op shop
The joy of finding a true gem in a jam packed op shop can seem like only a fantasy. I’m sure we all have heard that smug friend “oh this is a Gucci jacket I found in a little vintage shop in Paris for an absolute bargain”. I can assure you with these few tips you too could find some gems that will make your friends envious.
- Plan: Make a list of items you need or want, keep it in your phone or notebook. This will help you have a focus when you walk in. Op shops can be a great place to get your wardrobe basics like blazers, denim or shirts. If you're needing some inspiration, research online or magazines for current trends like shapes or colours. This can be so much fun. I'm a bit of a fashion nerd and I love to create a Pinterest board of styles I love, it’s a great reference tool.
- Prepare: my tip when shopping for clothing be op shops or in the high street: wear comfortable clothes that are easy to take off or put things over the top. Wear nude underwear and for warmer season shopping have your fake tan on.
- Explore: Start by looking at your normal size range but then look at the size both up and down, remember brands can size differently. Try the mens section especially look at the blazers, jumpers and shirts. I love a mens shirt, they often have more starch and look great with the collar turned up. Keep an eye out for quality brands this is where you may find your very own gem.
- Be open minded: Like shopping at Westfield, some days you have success and some days you don’t. This is a great opportunity to explore some styles you may normally avoid, I'm not talking fancy dress but something like a different shaped jean.
- Made for you: Don’t be afraid to do some alterations, if you don’t already, find a good tailor. Having clothes tailored to fit your body can make you feel amazing plus will make your clothes look expensive.
Shopping pre love is a great opportunity to find something unique, keep fashion circular, maybe help support a charity and save yourself some money.